Friday, July 20, 2012

Post Class Rant

Thursdays class was interesting. We had a chance to read our homework in front of everyone. Which I think is a great idea? It gave us the opportunity to hear our fellow classmates styles of writing. We have some really great writers in this class. Some were eloquent, funny and very detailed. I on the other hand, not so much. I still feel very elementary with my style of journalism writing.

I know I have a voice and I can be very snarky but I feel like I balance of the edge of vulgarity. I always have. I must have gotten it from my father, he was an Army Sergeant and always used foul language around me. Hearing it made me laugh when I was a kid. People always tell me to stop cussing. It's a habit I've been working on.

Learning about Gawkers writing style was like making a new friend. The headlines and articles make me laugh and I think this type of journalism is interesting and I'd love to explore it more.

We discussed how the front pages of Gawker and The New York Times compare and contrast. I actually enjoyed reading both. I like Gawkers tabloid style of writing for entertainment purposes. The NYT is informative and effective. I prefer to read the LA Times, just because I live in LA.

I'm hoping to improve my writing techniques and find a way to be snarky and vulgar without it being distasteful.


1 comment:

  1. Nae - i am so thrilled you have a blog. I expect greatness baby monstasista. Are you taking a writing class now? Fb me and let me know. I am going to a fast blast on guamblog on fb...will post later on the tumblr blog when you update me, grrl.

    ReplyDelete